Awesome Facts About The Great Wall Of China
The Great Wall of China is truly one of the most amazing structures that we, the humans, have ever built. Believe it or not, you can see it from space! This wall extends through the majority of Chinese provinces, including Beijing, the capital (with a total population of 14 million people, by the way). It's got borders with Manchuria and Inner Mongolia and the Chinese built it as a defensive fortification during the Warring States period. So, are you ready to take a look at some awesome facts about the Great Wall of China? Just nod if you are :).
- The Wall is thousands of miles long - ~3730, if you want the exact number - and tourists all around the world really love to visit the country only to check the Wall out "eye-to-eye". A lot of people organize walks along the wall to raise money for all kinds of causes, including help for the starving, education for the kids, and so on.
- One of the most awesome facts about the Great Wall of China: few people know about this, but they began construction of the Great Wall back when the Qin dynasty was running things. The head of the dynasty, Qin Shi Hurangdi, needed the wall to protect his people from the attackers. It's known that over 0.5 million (!) peasants were involved in building this gigantic wall. Hey, many of these people were convicted criminals - murderers, rapists - so, maybe building of it was the only way they could find redemption?
Awesome Facts About The Great Wall Of China - Watchtowers And Even More Laborers
- When Northern Wei became the rulers, the construction of the Great Wall of China continued on. They say 300K workers were building a single section south of Datong. In 607-608 AD the north and the south were divided and there was a lot of tension, so, over 1 million new peasants were ordered in to continue working on this massive, unbelievable thing. Can you imagine 1 million people involved in construction of a single structure today? This is definitely one of the most awesome facts about the Great Wall of China.
- Now, if you thought that the previous numbers were impressing, what would you say about the millions of workers who were conscripted while the Ming dynasty was ruling China? What did they have to do with the Wall, exactly? Their job was to strengthen, improve and lengthen it. Crazy fact about the Great Wall of China: this project took more than 100 years to complete!
- Naturally, when such an enormous project is in work, thousands of workers die due to sickness, exposure to several elements, exhaustion and accidents. The laborers used handcarts and goats/donkeys, depending on the terrain. The animals were generally used for hauling lime, bricks and other construction materials. The work was harsh, people had almost no rest and no food, but, at the end of the day, they did finish the project.
- The Ming dynasty added watchtowers that could warn the country of approaching enemies. Soldiers used to live in the watchtowers, and they made sure that every part of the Great Wall was protected. Definitely one of the most awesome facts about the Great Wall of China: most of the wall's ruins were never restored and so the tourists have a unique opportunity to see what numerous battles and the weather did to this ridiculously huge structure.
- Interesting fact about the Great Wall of China: back in the 13th Century Mongol soldiers managed to breach it; Manchu soldiers breached it in the 17th century.
- British Horror Story: 7 Frightening Clinics Of The United Kingdom
- The New Star Of Instagram: Dog Which Looks Like a Blue-Eyed Fox
- 13-year-old Opera Singer On The Show America's Got Talent - Video
- End Of The World: 7 Places In The World Where The Adrenaline Rolls Over
- The Teacher, 52-kilogram Lost, A Role Model For Her Students
- The Young Belgian Has Become Famous Thanks To His Unusual Way Of Travel
- Dark-Skinned Military Woman Has Become "Miss USA"
- Yoga Guru With A Curvy Shape Inspired Users Of Social Networks
- Meet the 93-year-old grandmother - Master of Kung Fu
- Internet Most Popular Cats