The Craziest Facts About The Lord Of The Rings
Peter Jackson did say that he won't get back to the franchise after the last movie (which was awesome, by the way), and we've got Warcraft taking over the "Fantasy Blockbuster" throne, but rest assured - the Lord Of The Rings will always be one of the best movie series in the genre. Besides, who says a new, young and talented director won't get back to it with yet another remake? The books are good sellers, too, and, with a rich world like that you just can't say goodbye to it and move on. Now, you might've read all the books and seen all the movies a dozen times, but there are still some things that you don't know about this fantasy world, and that's why our list of craziest facts about the Lord Of The Rings is a must-read if you're a true fan and can't imagine life without Aragorn, Gandalf or Sauron.
- J. R. Tolkien, the author of the books, used just 2 fingers to type 1.2K pages (!) of text for the books. I wonder how much time it took him to finish the job?
- The Beatles (yep, those 4 lads from Liverpool) once wanted to turn Lord Of The Rings into a movie with them playing the lead characters but Tolkien wasn't "feeling the vibe" and so the legendary band never made it to the big screen.
- Did you know that the role of Gandalf was initially meant for Sean Connery, Mr. James Bond himself? Well, they say he didn't get the script and turned down the offer. That's a shame, though, because he would look great in that all-white outfit. Or would he?
- As crazy as it might sound, Elijah Wood (Frodo) and Ian McKellen (Gandalf) were never shot in one scene together. And they have a lot of scenes together!
- They made 18K costumes for all the 3 movies, and, in some cases, the team had to make as much as 40 "copies" of the same costume. Furthermore, more than 10K arrows and 2K weapons were made.
- The 3 Hobbit films had an enormous budget. For example, the first 2 got twice as much as all the 3 LOTR movies did. Don't get me started on the last one, The Battle Of The Five Armies!
- Crazy fact: Christopher Tolkien, the man's son, doesn't really like the books written by his father. Funny how that goes sometimes, huh?
- Hilarious fact: Sean Bean is afraid of flying, and so he had to climb a mountain in New Zealand every single day of shooting!
- The last move in the LOTR series, "The Return Of The King", won the biggest Academy Award - "Best Picture", which made it the first fantasy film to ever get the honor. Furthermore, it set a new record as the film with the highest number of people featured in it.
- The director of the trilogy, Peter Jackson, had a tiny role in every single movie. His kids had appearances as well! Call it family business.
- Christopher Lee had been reading the LOTR books every year for 4 decades before he got the role of Saruman. By the way, he met Tolkien in an Oxford bar, while having a drink. Oh, and he wanted the role of Gandalf. Unfortunately, he never got it. The producers were concerned about his age and doubted his ability to perform well in the action scenes.
- Cate Blanchett kept her prosthetic ears after shooting ended, while Ian McKellen held on to the hat, the sword and the staff.
- Awesome Facts About Steven Yeun
- Awesome Facts About Taylor Swift, Part II
- Awesome Facts About Taylor Swift, Part I
- The Craziest Facts About Squirrels
- The Most Expensive Watch In The World
- Top 10 Most Dangerous Insect In The World (Video)
- The Craziest Facts About Elephants
- Lady GaGa Choice: Shoes From Animal Carcasses
- Rupert The World's Largest Cat
- The Craziest Facts About Valentine's Day