The oceans are the most uncharted “territories” in the world, and the waters are home to thousands, if not millions of astonishing fish. There are lots of tropical fish in the water, some of which look like they’re from a different planet (or even a different timeline). They are truly magnificent, and not only because of their appearance – some of them have unique “features” that will take your breath away! So, join us and let’s check out some fascinating facts about tropical fish, the best of the best, the most glorious, weird, crazy, beautiful and expensive (yep, they cost a fortune!) breeds. Let’s begin!
– Let’s kick this off with the Kissing Gourami, shall we? It’s a silver-peach colored tropical fish with bigger, larger lips than a regular Gourami. So, why the name, you ask? Well, this fish uses its “kisses” for…fighting other males! Yep, you could call it the first gay tropical fish that’s officially proud of who it is! Definitely a fascinating fact about tropical fish :).
– The Western Rainbowfish, on the other hand, boasts huge black eyes, a deeply forked mouth and not one, but two dorsal fins. It’s got black (or sometimes silver) bands all across its scales and the fellas display their brightest colors when they’re “flirting” with the ladies. That’s right – they really like to show off!
– The Siamese Fighter/Betta is a pretty small breed with a pretty complex color scheme despite the modest size. The longish fins are colored in red and the head is covered in a dark color, while the body is covered in a lighter shade. During mating, the male and female spiral and circle around each other making from 10 to 45 (!) eggs each time they “make love” – until all the eggs are released. That’s quite a cool fact, right?
Fascinating Facts About Tropical Fish – Big Fans Of Sex, Personal Space And Mosquitoes
– Fascinating facts about tropical fish: However, nobody comes even close to the Molly Fish in terms of that “sex drive”. They come in different colors – black, orange and green. Beware: It’s REALLY hard to make them stop…breeding! So, even if you bought just two fish – one male and one female – be ready to get a big, happy fish family on your hands soon!
– The Golden Julie is yet another awesome tropical fish that’s 3 inches long and has a yellow body with horizontal black stripes all over it. This fish takes its personal space very seriously and is ready to fight its own family over it.
– The Figure 8 Puffer (the official name is “Sumatra Puffer”) is an amazing fish with a white color on its underside and a pretty dark brown color on the upper half. So, why do people call it “Figure eight”? Because it’s got markings on its back that look a lot like “8s”. And, it has a very…expressive face, thanks to a really complex facial anatomy.
– The Panda Loach is the most expensive tropical fish out there and usually costs as much as 150 American dollars! The Clown Loach, on the other hand, is very weak and gets sick a lot.
– A fascinating fact about tropical fish: Have you ever heard about the Black Ruby Barb? Well, you should know that if you hate mosquitoes, this fish might become your best friend – it feasts on their larvae whenever it can!
– The Blind Cave Tetra have awesome sight! So, why are they called “Blind”? That’s because when they turn into mature adults nature takes their sight away.