Years & Years, a mighty trio made up of 3 fellas from London, UK, has been storming the national charts for the last couple of years, taking home all kinds of prestigious awards and gaining a huge fan-base. These talented lads came together back in 2010 and decided it was time to form a band. However, unlike the majority of UK-based bands, this one is not playing Rock’n’Roll, pop-rock or hard rock. No, they play electro pop and indie pop, but their music is just as catchy and universal as your typical bangers from the ’70s and the ’80s. Last year, in 2015, these guys had their first major break on the European market with the highly “contagious” song, “King”, which was a #1 hit in the UK. Come on, you know that song, right? This year they’re planning a big-bad tour and even have some plans of conquering the United States of A. Ok, let’s check out some interesting facts about Years & Years!
– So, Olly Alexander is the lead vocalist, while Mikey Goldsworthy and Emre Türkmen are the “masterminds”, so to speak. These guys met each other on the Internet and just instantly knew they had to be in a band together after they found out that they both loved Radiohead, Diplo and Flying Lotus.
– Interesting fact about Years & Years: up until 2013 the group had consisted of 5 members. Olivier Subria and Noel Leeman used to be in it as well. That same year the band signed their first official deal. If you’re a die-hard fan, then you know that the original “cast” was on the very first single, called “I Wish I Knew” that was released in 2012.
– They say Goldsworthy heard a young fella singing in the shower after a house party and offered him to join his band. That “fella” was none other than Olly Alexander, the vocalist. Olly said once that his voice is so much clearer when he’s singing in the shower!
Interesting Facts About Years & Years – Fans Of Metallica, Beatles And Social Media
– Another interesting fact about Years & Years: Despite the fact that Radiohead is the biggest inspiration for the group, Goldsworthy is a huge Metallica fan (and he loves Marilyn Manson too!) and even said that they got a lot of “kick” from the metal legends.
– However, Türkmen is more of a Beatles kind of the guy and enjoys listening to the band’s hits, including “Yesterday”, “Let It Be” and the rest of the iconic tunes.
– By the way, the band is super-active on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram and they constantly say that without the social media Years & Years could never become so big.
– Interesting fact about Years & Years: the band loves to give the fans an awesome experience at their live shows and that’s why they’ve got Dylan Bell, an amazing drummer, joining them on every live performance, even though he’s not officially in the band.
– Mikey used to work at the River Café; Olly starred in Skins, a pretty popular UK TV show. So, yeah, these lads are pretty talented! By the way, Olly’s full name is Oliver Alexander Thornton. Sounds “British”, doesn’t it?
– In 2014 the band won the BBC Sound of 2015 award and the Artist to Watch award from mtvU. It’s safe to say that these awards gave Years & Years that vital kick up, the butt that they really needed to become more than just a one-hit-band.