Bruno Mars is one of the biggest male stars of our time. He’s been climbing world-wide charts ever since his first album, “Doo-Wops & Hooligans”, hit the musical shelves. He’s got a fantastic voice like James Brown and tons of charisma like Michael Jackson. His musical style is fresh and unique, even though he learned from the best in Funk, Disco and Rock’n’Roll. Join us and let’s check out some awesome facts about Bruno Mars, a regular guy from LA who had a dream of becoming the hottest artist under the sun.
– Bruno was born in Waikiki, Hawaii, on October 8, 1985, which makes him 30 years old. He comes from a musical family: his dad, Pete, used to be a Latin percussionist, while his mom, Bernie (Bernadette, if you want the full name), was a singer back in the day. Bruno has Puerto Rican and Filipino blood running through his veins.
– Crazy fact about Bruno Mars: that’s not his real name! His parents named him Peter Hernandez. Sounds funny, huh? So, why Bruno? They say he was an independent, confident and mature kid growing up, and that’s why he took the name of Bruno Samartino, a pro wrestler. As for “Mars”, the ladies used to say he was like an alien, out of this world, so, hence the second name!
– Peter has 5 siblings. When he was just four years old, the future superstar performed with his parents’ band, The Love Notes. Two of his biggest influences back then were MJ and Elvis Presley. He loved Presley so much that his family and friends gave him a nickname – “Little Elvis”.
Crazy Facts About Bruno Mars – His First Crush, Favorite Color And First Hit
Alright, let’s check out more awesome facts about Bruno Mars!
– During his days in high school Mr. Mars was in a band with his friends. As he said in an interview later that was an awesome experience that helped him become more confident on stage.
– He’s quite the instrumentalist and can play the piano, guitar, bass and drums!
– Definitely one of the most awesome facts about Bruno Mars: when he was just a boy, 15 years of age, he had a crush on his school teacher (!) who was 30+ years old (!!). He even gave her his first love letter with his mother’s ring in it (!!!). He stole it, of course :).
– His favorite food is Chicken Adobo, favorite color – red.
– Bruno moved to LA after graduating school and started working on his songs.
– Before he became a huge star as a solo artist, he wrote a lot of hits for other artists, such as Travis McCoy (“Billionaire”), FloRida (“Right Round”) and K’Naan (“Waving’ Flag”).
– His first hit song, “Nothin’ on You” (featuring B.O.B.), reached the #1 spot on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. That same year Bruno was arrested in a Vegas casino for carrying cocaine (2.6 grams).
– His first single from the album was “Just the Way You Are”, another banger, another #1 on Billboard. The second one, “Grenade”, also climbed to the top of the chart.
– Awesome fact about Bruno Mars: his first LP, “Doo-Wops & Hooligans”, managed to sell six million copies worldwide.
– Bruno Mars sold over 100 million records worldwide (singles and albums). Overall, he had 5 #1s on the Hot 100 chart since his debut with “Nothing’ on You”. He achieved that impressive result faster than any other male performer since Elvis Presley himself.
– He loves “Family Guy” (the TV show), has a dog named Geronimo and 4 tattoos. He even played at the Superbowl in 2014.
– His recent huge hit, “Uptown Funk”, featuring Mark Ronson, was the catchiest song of 2015.
Ok, that was our list of interesting facts about Bruno Mars!